29 Sep What You Need to Know About Sciatica and Your Health
Sciatica, or irritation of the sciatic nerve, is one of the most common causes of back pain. As many as 4 out 10 people will suffer it in their lives. While sciatica commonly occurs with older individuals, the risk increases as we move into middle-age.
Your McAllen chiropractors at Hendrick Wellness Center are well prepared to help you deal with your back pain and diagnose your sciatica. If you believe you are suffering from this health issue, please read the following information and make sure to contact the chiropractic team at Hendrick Wellness Center to schedule a consultation.
What is sciatica?
Sciatica is the compression of the sciatic nerve, which is located in the lower back area. Sciatica is thought to be more of a symptom of other underlying problems, rather than the actual problem itself.
Pressure in the sciatic nerve causes severe pain that can stretch from the lower back all the way down to the legs. In the worst case scenarios, sufferers may even lose feeling in their legs and deal with inflammation.
Sciatica can also cause incontinence. Should it start to affect the function of your bladder, it is vital that you seek medical care immediately.
Conditions that Cause Sciatica
Some conditions known to cause sciatica include:
- Lumbar spine subluxations (misaligned vertebral bodies)
- Herniated disks
- Pregnancy or childbirth
- Being overweight
- Non-spinal related conditions (i.e.: diabetes, constipation, sitting on one’s wallet in the back pocket, etc.)
- Piriformis syndrome (damage to the lower back muscle due to a fall or other trauma)
Age is another factor in sciatica; the older we become, the more our spine changes due to use. In some cases, our vertebras can deform, pressing on the sciatic nerve. Also, as we age, herniated discs can also become an issue, which can also cause sciatica.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help You Deal with Sciatic Pain
Sciatica is a very difficult condition to live with. Simple tasks can become difficult to perform and cause the sufferer tremendous amounts of pain.
That’s why visiting your local McAllen chiropractors at Hendrick Wellness is important to obtaining the treatment needed to help improve your condition. If you decide to visit a chiropractor, you will undergo several tests in order to properly diagnose your sciatica. X-rays may be required in order to accurately locate the sciatic nerve and to properly define the underlying issue.
In very serious cases, you may be referred to a specialist who can determine whether surgery is required. However, most cases can be improved with various forms of chiropractic therapy including:
- Cold therapy – Meant to reduce inflammation and sciatic pain.
- Ultrasound – Muscle spasms occur in some sciatica cases. To minimize them, chiropractors use ultrasound heat waves, which penetrate the tissues and help the muscles to relax.
- TENS unit (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) – A small muscle stimulation machine, TENS delivers a controlled amount of electrical current to help reduce pain and muscle spasms.
- Adjustments (spinal manipulation) – The experienced chiropractors at Hendrick Wellness Center are well trained to bring your spine into alignment and help release your muscles and sciatic nerve. Spinal manipulation has been proven to be safe and effective.
If your quality of life has been negatively affected by sciatic pain, contact Hendrick Wellness Center today and trust in our dedicated chiropractors to help you live pain-free.
Hendrick Wellness Center is ready to care for your spinal health. Call us today at (956) 630-2255 to schedule your appointment.