17 Oct Strength, Stability, Success: Hendrick Wellness Center Celebrates National Chiropractic Health Month
Our musculoskeletal system plays an important role in our health and overall well-being. Made up of our bones, muscles, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, joints and other connective tissue, this system protects our organs while also providing the necessary support and stability to effectively move and control our body.
When we suffer an injury to our musculoskeletal system, or experience changes to the body that come along with aging, it can be difficult to complete simple everyday tasks. If sufficient damage has been done, you can begin to suffer excruciating pain that can negatively affect your quality of life.
Protecting your musculoskeletal system, staying active, and making the right lifestyle choices are important to your health and future.
It is in recognition of the musculoskeletal system that Hendrick Wellness Center joins in celebrating National Chiropractic Health Month. Our McAllen chiropractors want to provide the care and guidance you need to prevent musculoskeletal injury while also improving your spinal health and reducing the need for invasive surgery or prescription pain medications.
Join us in learning a bit more about what you can do to better protect your spine and musculoskeletal health.
Why Are Back and Musculoskeletal Injuries so Common?
Unfortunately, whether we realize it or not, there are plenty of everyday actions we perform that can have a direct effect on our spine and musculoskeletal health. Whether it is engaging in some sort of physical activity or sport, lifting a heavy item for work, chores, or even sitting, there’s plenty that can go wrong.
Spinal and musculoskeletal injuries often happen as a result of lifting a heavy object, twisting, sudden movements, repetitive stress, or poor posture. Over time, these actions can create tissue problems and issues with the spine.
Thankfully, an experienced chiropractor, like those at Hendrick Wellness Center, can provide spinal manipulation treatment in order to help you achieve proper alignment of your musculoskeletal system. Manipulation helps to restore mobility in joints and tissues affected by musculoskeletal issues, while also providing meaningful pain relief.
Depending on your specific needs, our chiropractor will use their hands and/or a number of instruments to apply controlled force to your musculoskeletal system to fix alignment problems. Manipulation techniques ultimately help your body to properly align itself in a natural way versus invasive surgery or frequent medication use.
Celebrate Your Spine: Tips for a Healthier Back
When it comes to protecting your spinal health, there are plenty of simple steps that you can take to ensure you stay as healthy as possible. While accidents and injuries do happen unexpectedly, it is our responsibility to do the best that we can to stay healthy, including:
- Stay active and moving:
- Try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week if possible.
- Make sure to exercise your core to provide the support your lower back needs.
- Remember to take it easy on high-impact sports; the wrong movement–especially as we get older–can have devastating effects.
- Change your position at work; if seated, stand up for a few minutes or walk around.
- Stretch your muscles to keep them loose.
- When sitting continuously at work:
- Sit with your feet touching the floor or supported.
- Keep your knees and hips at the same level.
- Keep your monitor at arms’ length and try not to strain your neck by staring down.
- Adjust your chair so that you have enough support in your lumbar.
- When lifting a heavy item:
- Bend your knees and keep a wide stance.
- Avoid lifting with your back and not from the waist.
- Keep your load as close to your body as possible.
- Never twist to lift or set down an object, instead bend your knees to place down the object.
- Consider using back support if you are constantly lifting for work.
- Lifestyle choices matter:
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet as your body needs enough vitamins and minerals to maintain strong muscles.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water as this helps to support joint health.
- Avoid smoking and excessive drinking as this can lead to the development of osteoporosis and bone fractures.
If you want to reduce your pain and the risk of injury related to your musculoskeletal system, as well as learn more about how to improve your posture and spinal health, don’t hesitate to reach out to the friendly and dependable chiropractic team at Hendrick Wellness Center. Our McAllen chiropractic office provides services for individuals of all ages, from children to older adults.